6 egg yolks
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 egg whites
1/4 cup white sugar
confectioners’ sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a 10x15x1 inch jellyroll pan with parchment paper. Spray parchment.
2. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until thick and pale. Blend in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and salt. In large glass bowl, using clean beaters, whip egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, and beat until whites form stiff peaks. Immediately fold the yolk mixture into the whites. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Dust a clean dishtowel with confectioners’ sugar. Run a knife around the edge of the pan, and turn the warm cake out onto the towel. Remove and discard parchment paper. Starting at the short edge of the cake, roll the cake up with the towel. Cool for 30 minutes.
4. Unroll the cake, and spread the filling to within 1 inch of the edge. Roll the cake up with the filling inside. Place seam side down onto a serving plate, finish icing cake and refrigerate until serving. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
2-1/2 cups heavy cream
3/4cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
In a large bowl, whip cream, 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until thick and stiff. Refrigerate.
Cranberry Nut Jelly Roll
4 eggs, separated
3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
1 pkg (8 oz) fat-free or lite cream cheese
2 Tbsp softened butter
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
1. Let eggs stand at room temp for 30 minutes. line 15x10x1 inch baking pan with parchment. Spray w/non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 3 minutes until thickened.
3. In small mixing bowl with clean beaters, beat egg-whites on medium until foamy. Gradually add confectioner’s sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks appear.
4. Fold egg whites into yolks.
5. Combine flour, baking powder and soda and salt. Gently fold into egg mixture until combined. Fold in cranberries and nuts.
6. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350′ for 7-10 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes.
7. Invert cake onto kitchen towel dusted with confectioner’s sugar. Gently peel off parchment paper.
8. Roll up cake in the towel, jelly-roll style, starting with the short side. Cool on a wire rack.
9. For filling, in a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, butter and extract. Set aside 1 1/2 tsp confectioner’s sugar. Gradually beat remaining sugar into cream cheese mixture. Unroll cake, spread filling to within 1/2 inch of edges. Roll up again. Sprinkle with reserved confectioner’s sugar. Store in refrigerator.