Gilded Vellum with Cottage Rose
Here’s another technique I’ve done a few times lately, but, again, I had forgotten about it. It’s so much fun – and I added a little twist to it (even though it was by accident).
First, I used an alcohol ink technique with the Vellum. Scribble on a piece of Vellum with Stampin’ Blends. I was a little too conservative with my colors; I’ll probably go darker next time. I used purples, and although I’m not 100% sure of the colors I used, I know I used Blackberry Bliss, Orchid Oasis, Fresh Freesia, and Rich Razzleberry. You do not need to cover the entire page.
Next, spritz the Vellum with rubbing alcohol. It needs to be at least 91%. Be generous with this. You want the color to lift off the Vellum, so you’ll need a lot of alcohol so the colors will lift and blend a bit. Here’s the twist – I had an empty (I thought) Spritzer on my table. Apparently, I had used it for Clear Wink of Stella and alcohol for another project. The alcohol was gone, but I hadn’t rinsed out the spritzer so a little Stella residue was still there. This gave my Vellum a little sparkle. I love it!
Once the color is lifted and the scribble lines are blurred, take a Heat Tool and move the ink/alcohol around to create veins and patterns. When the alcohol is dry (it doesn’t take long with the heat tool), you can add more ink or continue with the project. Tip: Keep the heat tool moving. You want the alcohol/ink mixture to move around and you don’t want to burn the vellum.
For a little extra touch (inspired by retired Specialty Designer Series Paper), I drew little lines with a VersaMarker, then used Heat & Stick Powder (heat it only until it’s melted) and Gilded Leafing to create faux veins. If you don’t have a VersaMarker, you can use Blender Pens or a paint brush and Versamark Refill. Or, even easier, draw thin lines with Multipurpose Liquid Glue and go straight to the Gilded Leafing after.
To complete the card, I stamped some of the script from the Ranunculus Romance Stamp Set in Smoky Slate on Basic White Cardstock, then stamped the group of three flowers from the Cottage Rose Stamp Set several times on the Basic White. I colored the flowers with the same Stampin’ Blends that I used to scribble on the vellum.
I had a Basic White Frame left from another project. I cut another oval frame from Fresh Freesia using the Floral Frames Dies. I adhered the Vellum to the Basic White frame, then fitted the die-cut Fresh Freesia Cardstock over it. I fitted the Basic White Stamped piece under the Fresh Freesia with Stampin’ Dimensionals, then adhered it to an Orchid Oasis card base. The Sentiment from the Framed Florets stamp set, is embossed in silver on an Orchid Oasis die-cut from the Beautiful Shapes Dies. The card looked a little naked, even with the Orchid Oasis Woven Metallic Ribbon, so I stamped some images from the Two-Tone Floral Stamp Set in Fresh Freesia on the Fresh Freesia Cardstock layer.
Thanks for stopping by Stamping with Buffy. Have a lovely day!