A Very Sad Day

Saturday started out like any other day.  We slept in a little.  Mike had an appointment in the morning, but the dogs and I hung out and just lazed around.  Around 3 in the afternoon, Mike & I ran a few errands.  Since we’d be out of the car a lot, we left both dogs at home.  When we got back, Mike was moving things around outside, and Mr. Walter wanted to go out with him.  I put him on a leash and he ran out the door.  Instead of staying with Mike, though, he decided to go for a walk.  We took off and got about two houses away.  He was acting just like always – sniffing, walking, and “watering lawns.”  And then he just fell over.  I thought at first he wanted to roll in the grass, but then I realized he wasn’t rolling.  I grabbed him up and ran home, but by the time I got there, he was gone.

It was so fast, and I think we’re still a little bit in shock.  We knew he was old, and he had an enlarged heart.  But we really thought we’d have a few more years with him.
walter_novemberWalter had a happy life, and lived it to the fullest up to the last second.  I miss him so much, and my heart still aches when I don’t see him sleeping beside the bed, or see his little face peering out the door, or see him lying by my office chair keeping me company.  It’s going to take some time, but hopefully soon the happy memories will make us smile instead of cry.

Thanks for stopping by Stamping with Buffy.  I’ll have another Craft Project Central project for you tomorrow, and then pictures of the baby shower.  Have a wonderful day.

About buffycooper

Among other things, I am a musician who enjoys papercrafting (specifically with rubber stamps), a Stampin' Up!® demonstrator, Christian, wife and mom to two great boys.
This entry was posted in Non-Stamping Related and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to A Very Sad Day

1. Sandy says:

So sorry for your loss

2. Angela says:

i am so very sorry for your loss. i am sitting here with my baby by my side and just can not imagine life without him. Bless your heart! A friend of mine lost her baby after a lot of years with him and got another one of the same breed. I do not know if i could do that right away but it worked for her. again,so very sorry

3. Oh I am so sorry for your loss. Fur babies are very much a part of everyday life. I pray for comfort for your family.

4. Emilie Boyd says:

I’m sorry Buffy. I know how you feel I lost both my big old dogs within a month of each other. Thank goodness Daisy came along. She is a comfort.

5. bettyvonn says:

I rarely cry over someone else’s doggie, but little Walter was the exception. He was such a gracious host. He was sure we came to see him and greeted us appropriately! We will truly miss him, but our hearts go out to you and Mike – his loyal, loving “subjects”.

6. Michele Schroyer says:

I am so sorry for your loss. They bring us so much joy and happiness. They are constant companions and leave a huge vacancy in our lives when they leave. Time is a great healer and happy memories will replace such great grief. Take care.

7. Jeanne Kupsh says:

I’m so terribly sorry for your loss, Buffy!!! Furbabies take up so much space in our hearts, and leave a giant hole when they leave us. Big hugs and tons of prayers!!!

8. paul na says:

Oh Buffy, I am so sorry for your loss. Walter was a sweet boy. I know you and your family will miss him. The death of fur baby is never easy .I grieve with you. Thank you for sharing this sad news.

Ginger Na Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 13:36:24 +0000 To: pna430@hotmail.com

9. Buffy, I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet friend. I’m sitting here at work welling up with sadness & understanding what you’re going through. My heart is with you & your family.

10. Marilyn Brown says:

So sorry to hear of your loss of your little guy. Are you familiar with “The Rainbow Bridge”? If not, google it. Take care.

11. oh, I am crying after reading this. I am sooo sorry for you loss. I know how hard it must be. ((((HUGS)))) to you and your family.

12. Kathy Schoen says:

So sorry for your loss! They are not pets…they are family! Unfortunately, we know when they adopt us that we will lose them way too soon. Big hugs to you, Mike and to all who loved Walter.

13. buffycooper says:

Thank you all for your sweet, loving expressions of sympathy. Each day is a little easier. It’s hard being at the office, because he was always here with us, but we’re trying to smile more and cry less. It was impossible to see Walter and not smile! He was the best.

14. Brenda Tapp says:

I am so sorry for your loss, Buffy. Our granddaughter just lost her chocolate lab (named UPS), and we are all devastated. Her pup was only a few years old – but the loss is the same. Prayers for you all.

BE the difference… BRENDA TAPP, Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator btapp@msn.com / 919.929.1412 / Chapel Hill, NC http://www.tappstampers.stampinup.net

15. Gail Allen says:

Oh, Buffy – a sad day for sure. Your Walter is exactly the same colouring as my Milo, who I lost earlier this year. We always wish we could have them forever, but in a way we do have them forever because they really do leave footprints on our hearts. And I do believe they will be waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge.

16. Karen T. says:

I know how you feel and I’m so sorry!!

17. Deborah Smart says:

Buffy, I am so sad for the passing of your beloved Walter 😦 It’s wonderful that he had you with him right up until the end, and he obviously was happy and loved and knew it. Like Gail, I too believe we will see our fur babies at the Rainbow Bridge. Until then, they stay in our hearts and keep any eye on us. Love & hugs to you both.

18. Tracey Sweeney says:

I’m so sorry Buffy – it’s never easy.