Accordion Flowers

The first time I saw these little accordion flowers, I thought, “They’re so cute!  I should make some.”  So I tried, about a year or so ago.  The accordion part went very well.  Putting it together?  Not so great.  Oh, the flower was fine at first.  But the next morning, I woke up to a long strip of accordion folded paper with a glue dot, button and punched card stock circle hanging off the side. After that, I thought, “They’re really cute, but, seriously, I think I’ll pass.”

Then I bought the new Simply Scored scoring board from Stampin’ Up!®*  It makes scoring these a snap, and this would be a fun way to use my new board.  I decided to give the flowers one last try.  First I watched a video by Heather Summers.  Heather Summers is very creative and talented, and her video made creating these flowers look so very simple.  Heather said in the video, “the first one may be a little tedious, but it gets easier.”  Somehow, I missed that the first time.

I cut my paper.  I scored my paper.  Hey, this is easy!  I punched holes and fed baker’s twine through them, just like Heather.  Piece of cake!  Then I tried to tie them closed.  The flowers flipped and flopped.  I lost one end of the twine, and it pulled out of half the holes when the paper “de-flowered.”  I fed it back through, and started tying again.  The flowers flipped.  I lost one end of the twine…and so it went.  In the back of my head, I remembered Heather saying, “the first one may be a little tedious….”  Heather is very sweet.  If I were making this video, I’d say, “The first one is a huge, royal pain in the behind.”

But Heather was right – they did get easier.  And here’s what I ended up with.

Click on photo to view larger image.

Ink:  More Mustard, Early Espresso classic; Paper:  Spice Cake designer series paper*; Always Artichoke, Very Vanilla, Baja Breeze, More Mustard, Early Espresso card stock; Other:  Simply Scored, white baker’s twine, linen thread, 1-1/4″ circle punch, Boho Blossoms punch, basic pearls, antique brads, mini glue dots, sticky strip, crop-a-dile, medium oval punch, crimper, Crystal Effects; wire, florists’ tape  (*available September 1 in the Holiday Mini Catalog; all other products are available in the 2011-12 Idea Book & Catalog.)

A frog or some moss would be really pretty in the container, but I didn’t have any handy and I wanted to get this posted. (Hey Kathy – how do you like my flower pot??)  I used Crystal Effects to adhere the stems to the flowers, and I’m happy with the way they turned out.  Every time I “create” flowers, I’m a little more in awe of God!

So those are my flowers for today.  I’m heading back downstairs to work on some chrysanthemums.  Maybe Mom will like those better than my “fun flowers!”  She’s a hard woman, my mother.  HA!  That’s a joke.  If you’ve ever met my mom, you know she’s one of the sweetest women around.

Thanks for stopping by!  Remember – Wednesday’s the last day to order from the summer mini, to take advantage of the 4 for 3 designer series paper promotion, and to help with breast cancer research.  Check here for details.

 

About buffycooper

Among other things, I am a musician who enjoys papercrafting (specifically with rubber stamps), a Stampin' Up!® demonstrator, Christian, wife and mom to two great boys.
This entry was posted in 3-D and other projects, Holiday Mini Catalog, Idea Book & Catalog, Punches, Techniques and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.