Demonstrators much wiser than I am have said that they have two brayers – one for black and one for other colors. I thought this was because once you use it with black ink, the rubber is ugly. Nope. I found out today it's because it's really, really hard to get that black ink off the rubber brayer. And if you use something like Summer Sun next, you get "Total Summer Eclipse of the Sun." We went to Outback the other day, and the coasters were so cool. I usually snitch all they put on the table, but Jennie & Karen have been keeping me well supplied, so I just took two so I could "recreate." The Summer Sun/More Mustard/Tangerine Tango one was the one I tried first. But that was after I did this one.
You know I sometimes say, "This looks better in real life?" Well, this one doesn't. I almost didn't post it – but it really is a cool technique. We passed Arby's on the way home (all my stamping today was inspired by food, I think!), and I thought, "Hmmmm. Recreating the logo would be fun!" I decided to use Bravo Burgundy instead of Real Red – and I don't think there's enough contrast. I stamped the medallion from Baroque Motifs in Bravo Burdundy craft ink on glossy white card stock, then embossed with clear powder. Next I brayed Basic Black ink over the card stock. It's ok, but not my favorite.
I rinsed off the brayer just like I always do, then began to work on the Outback coaster idea. I randomly stamped circles from Seeing Spots all over glossy white card stock. Then I brayed Summer Sun over it. ICK! Black doesn't just rinse off a brayer, of course, since it's permanent ink, so I had a blackish-yellow background. I'd say it looked like a yellow jacket, but it wasn't that pretty.
I washed the brayer with soapy water and a sponge, then sprayed with stampin' mist – and STILL had black ick rubbing off on the scrap paper. More cleaning. Finally, I got it clean and made the background, but I'm not happy with how it turned out after I stamped on it – so I'm still working on it. You'll have to stay tuned to see if it ever works out.
Here's the idea from the second coaster. It's much better.
I stamped the Seeing Spots circles in Versamark, then brayed Baja Breeze all over the glossy white card stock. I sponged Not Quite Navy along the edges and bottom, then Basic Black on the very bottom. The trees and sentiment are stamped in black.
I have to tell you the filigree brads are too, too cute! And I'm loving the taffeta ribbon.
Here's the last card for today. It's a template from a Stampin' Success magazine from last year.
I give a few more details on this one, since it's not as obvious how things were done. First, the card is 3×6". I cut 1/2 of the largest circle from the Coluzzle cutting kit and used that as the template for the punched semicircle. The other circles are (Baja Breeze) – 1 3/8" punch and (Kraft) Scallop Circle and 1" punches. The snowmen from Window Dressing were stamped on watercolor paper and colored with markers and blender pens. I punched them with the 1 1/4" punch. "Merry Christmas" (on the round tab along the side) is also from Window Dressing and just fits! The little Baja snowflake is from Snow Burst. I "dry embossed" the Baja circle with my Crop-a-dile. I used setting A – 3. You have to remember not to squeeze really hard or you'll get a little line between the embossed circle and the edge.
So there you go! I'll be ordering a second brayer soon, you can be sure of that. I also got new rubber today, as well as some rub-ons to use in classes. I'll try to have some to show you tomorrow.